Piano Lessons & Music Theory
Express Yourself Musically
Now you can experience the fun and joy of playing the piano, creating musical arrangements or music composition. With Calgary-based piano teacher Patty Shortreed at your side, you will learn how to read music and play music that will develop and hone your skills. Along the way, you’ll learn enough theory to accomplish your goals and satisfy your interest in understanding the “science” behind the notes. Lessons are tailored to meet your interests and goals for: sight reading, playing by ear, composition and music theory.
Whether you are a professional, amateur or a beginner, you will benefit from the coaching and support that Patty provides. You can expect clear, constructive lessons, customized to your personal needs, given in a safe and comfortable learning environment.
Patty’s clients come from a wide range of interests and experience.
- Adults and youth interested in taking weekly piano lessons for fun and relaxation
- Beginners interested in learning how to play and read music
- People who used to play who are now looking to re-learn and expand their musical abilities
- Appreciators of music who have always wanted to play
- Band members looking to gain confidence, improve technique and style as a keyboardist and composer
- Songwriters looking for a composer or arranger to help them craft their music, write charts and perform vocals
- Music students preparing for Royal Conservatory music theory exams
What to Expect
- Beginners: you’ll learn the basic building blocks of music including keys, scales and chords and how to read all those little black dots on a piece of music and play and perform simple songs with ease.
- Intermediate: Hone your skills and agility on the keyboard, gain understanding and finesse in playing intermediate musical pieces. Increase confidence in performing for yourself and others.
- Advanced: Build from the basics to learn the fundamental musical styles so you can play by ear and improvise your own style. Improve your performance techniques and increase your presentation confidence.
Ages: Adults and high school seniors. (We can recommend teachers for children.)
WHAT TO BRING
Select three to five songs per season that feel comfortable and inspire you. This will make the process of learning them more enjoyable. You can maximize your session time by bringing your music with you to every session.
Bring a journal or notebook to record the results of your sessions. You will receive homework and suggestions for what to focus on. You are welcome to bring your phone or other recording device so you can replay your lesson back at home.
Appointment times vary from 45 – 60 minutes and can be scheduled weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly to suit your objectives, availability, and budget. Sessions are available noon to 8pm, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays year round (with short breaks at Christmas, Easter, and summer).
Fees are based on the number of sessions you commit to. Please call for more information about current rates and packages, 403-229-9321. Completing a commitment to yourself can be challenging in many ways: life happens, being busy, feeling scared or frustrated. The urge to quit can sometimes seem overwhelming. You can count on me to support you in completing your initial commitment to yourself, to help you move through the fears (and subconscious delay tactics) that arise so you can achieve the results you desire. For this reason it is my policy that, once committed to a term of lessons, fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. Please give this careful consideration before hiring me. I am here to help you fulfill your musical dreams.
Convenient Calgary Studio
Patty gives piano lessons and music theory instruction in her Calgary studio – easy to reach from surrounding areas including Airdrie, Bearspaw, Black Diamond, Bragg Creek, Chestermere Lake, Cochrane, Dewinton, Priddis, Okotoks, Springbank, Strathmore, and surrounding areas. (Parking available.)
Create Music – Add Joy to Your Life
Contact Patty for more information about piano lessons or music theory or to schedule a complementary interview.
Experience the joy of
expressing the music in you.
“Among the many forces in which the human spirit has tried to express its innermost yearnings and perceptions, music is perhaps the most universal. It symbolizes humanity’s search for harmony, with oneself and others, with nature, and with the spiritual and sacred within and around us.”
~ His Holiness the Dalai Lama
“Music helps us to understand things with our hearts when we can’t with our minds.”
~ Karl Paulnack